Saturday, August 28, 2010

Put Up or Shut Up

It's that time for me. After talking the talk and then buying the walk, now it was time to learn to play the walk, I mean, the flute. I purchased one this past spring, but remained totally clueless. So yesterday I had my first-ever private lesson, courtesy of Dan Jacobs, a professional trumpet and flute player currently ensconced in Bellaire. I first met Dan several years ago at a Coldwell Banker party where I booked David Chown's group. I asked David to get a trumpet player as well as sax cuz I wanted to play, but not by myself. Dan was the man, and he still is The Man.

So I took my trumpet and my flute. He showed me how to hold the latter, what keys do what, and kept telling me it was easy. Thanks for the encouragement, Dan, even if I respectfully disagree at this point. But I was able to make some noises that eventually sounded like notes, and then, wonder of wonders, I got to play one of his alto flutes. It is so cool. I must get better so I can get one someday.

Then it was on to the trumpet. At least I know how to hold it, and it only has three valves instead of all those pesky keys. Here he gave me some technique tips and practice ideas. All in all it was a well-spent afternoon. Torch Lake was even more beautiful than usual on the way up, and now I just have to follow through.

Dan plays a lot in northern Michigan and also in the Grand Rapids area. For play dates or other information, check out his website at DanJacobsMusic.com. He's also on Facebook, sharing photos, shows, tips, and other fun stuff.

No comments: