Tuesday, August 10, 2010

We could be heroes, just for one day

Two of my friends told me within the last few days that I was their hero for maintaining since Mary was diagnosed with cancer. That tells me two things. One, they need to get a better class of friends, or more discriminating taste in their heroes. And two, as David Bowie said, we can all be heroes.

I’ve done nothing extraordinary here. Just taking care of business. My buddy George Izeluk, who helped care for a friend who had cancer, told me, “We just do what needs to be done.” Well said, Geo.

All of you who have supported us are our heroes, for your love, prayers, and generosity of spirit. But I’d like to to acknowledge some of those of you who are particularly inspirational at this time. For those of you who aren’t named, don’t worry, there’s still time for you to make the next cut. Just step up your game a bit.

We all know some people who will be there for you anytime you need something, even if you don’t see them for months or years. George is one. Another is Mark Brock. One day shortly after my Mom had returned home after a stay in the hospital, I couldn’t reach her by phone. I called Mark and before I could even ask him if he might be able to check on her, he was going out the door, and called me five minutes later (even though his office is ten minutes away) to tell me everything was fine. That is a friend, and a hero.

The same is true of my three best friends in the world, Mark Businski, Jon Bumstead, and Joe Sorden. Mark is my former roomie at State, and has been one of the constants for us. The annual day at his parents’ cottage on Torch Lake is always a great time. When you are his guest, he’s determined you are going to have a good time. As Bartles & Jaymes said, Thank you for your support.

As has been documented here earlier, Jon wearied of political stupidity and stalemates in Lansing, and after griping about things, decided to actually do something about it. He ran for office, and by dint of hard work, he won the primary last week and will be the Republican nominee for the 100th district of the State House. That’s putting your money where your mouth is.

Joe, like George, is one of those rare people who always makes you feel better whenever you talk to him. And now, he’s not just as a hero, he’s a superhero: Triathlon Man. At the ripe old age of (insert two digits here, just make sure the first one is a 5), Joe is participating in his third triathlon this week. You go, Joe!

My Jazziz pal Melissa Blazek, who has been a source of strength and inspiration for both Mary and me since this ordeal began, is his counterpart. An avid cyclist, she rode in Mary’s name in an 80-mile bike race earlier this year, and had the following painted on the road during this year’s Tour de France. Now she too is in triathlon training. Blaze, you are the best.



Michael Koretzky was the first person I dealt with at Jazziz, when I said I’d review a disc the magazine was distributing if they’d let me write for the publication. Like Bumstead, Koretzky is one of those people who will always put his money where his mouth is. Let go by Florida Atlantic University, where he was the advisor to the student newspaper, he turned around and continued to advise the students as an unpaid guest lecturer. Also to rub it in the faces of the administration there. Just a little. Koretzky will never go gentle into that good night.

Koretzky also wrote me a great recommendation letter, noting that although we had worked together he’d never met me and if I walked into a room he wouldn’t recognize me. The letter is working great. I’ve had to fight off the job offers. Way to go, Koretzky.

Other heroes: Jacki Krolczyk, one of my best friends from the Record-Eagle days. Warm, bright and sparkling, Jacki felt underutilized at her workplace and missed leading a group of like-minded people. So she took on three new challenges at the same time: Moving to a new town (South Bend, Indiana), taking on a new job (ad director with the South Bend Tribune), and going back to school to get her Master’s degree at Notre Dame. That’s bravery.

Diana Labadie also made the difficult choice to move from home. Her husband Mark was a victim of the economic downturn in the homebuilding industry, but found a job in Pennsylvania. That meant saying goodbye to her job at Coldwell Banker, their home, their church, and their friends in Traverse City. So off she went.

But if the one who moves farthest wins, then the leader in the clubhouse is Joanie Bartels. Those of you with kids of a certain age, say, 15-30, hopefully know her music. With a lovely voice, impeccable taste, and an obvious, genuine love for both kids and their music, she’s been a mainstay of the children’s music scene for many years. That would be enough to be a hero, but wait, there’s more. Unafraid of life’s great adventure, she waited till she was somewhere north of 40 to fall in love, get married, and move – from Los Angeles to New Zealand. Classy, fun-loving and possessed of a beautiful soul, we are so proud to count her among our friends.

More heroes: Denny Becker saw a need for a cantor at our church in Empire. Without musical training, he bravely took it upon himself to become well-enough versed in the Mass liturgy to lead the congregation. Bravo Denny.

Those of you who attend St. Philip Neri have also heard Galen Tarrant, our accompanist for the last couple years. He started playing at Mass as a 15-year-old high school sophomore, becoming more confident, even to the point of leading the singing himself. Now, as a senior-to-be, Galen is considering music as part of the mix of his future.

Greg Holmes, like Mary, was stricken with a rare cancer. But with determination, some alternative therapies, the support of his doctor (okay, he cheated, he’s married to her), and his unflagging good humor, he beat it back.

Bruce Lirones, doctor by day, musician by night. As if getting back into the swing of things with his trumpet and the NMC Jazz Lab Band wasn’t enough, he’s outfitted an entire band (including his sons and neighbors), with which he plays bass. For a wanna-be musician like me, that’s inspirational.

Marti Johnson, another member of the Record-Eagle alumni club, who’s moved from media sales to standup comedy. She performs at Bo’s in TC and opened for a national touring comedian at Interlochen.

And of course, my family. Mary has bravely faced this bastard of a disease with strength and determination. She’s seldom been down, and greets each day. She’s made it to such milestones as Marc’s graduation, our anniversary and Marc’s birthday. She keeps on keeping on. She shouldn’t have to be going through this, but it’s the hand she’s been dealt, and she’s been tough and amazing throughout.

Marc is also one of a kind. While I miss dancing around the house to Tom Chapin, the Call and the Brian Setzer Orchestra with him on my shoulders, he’s so engaging to be around. He’s thoughtful, brilliant, and funny. No one should have to go what he’s gone through either. But as he said when we discussed it, “It is what it is.” Profound and insightful. That’s our boy.

So there’s a few of my heroes. They’re all out there. You're all out there. You just have to see the extraordinary in the ordinary.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love Mary. She is brave and she is always in my thoughts and prayers.

Karen J said...

If kindness and love is a cure, Mary, you are cured. If giving and careing is a cure, Mary, you are cured. If faith and selflessness is a cure, Mary, you are cured. I pray for you and yours each day and even though I am not there, be certain that my spirit is. You are my hero!