Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Jam Session volume 1

Which implies there will be a volume 2, right? Well, maybe. First time playing the horn since jazz band ended in April, and the rust showed. But fun was had nevertheless, and I know what fun is, cause I had some once.* The incredibly laid-back jam session at Wildflowers in Glen Arbor featured a trumpet trio consisting of former NMC Jazz Lab Band stalwart Alan Ladomer (below left), my new best friend Gus Doerfler (center), and yours truly. We played to backup music from a canned rhythm section.

It was quite an interesting experiment, Alan accessing the music on his iPod and then playing it back through a sweet little Peavey sound system. The three amigos would labor through the theme, often in my case sight-reading, then effortlessly solo. Or perhaps effortfully solo. Though clueless about keys and changes, I can hear when notes are right, or for that matter, when they're wrong. But in this setting, you just keep playing till you get it right. Or till the lips collapse, which mine did about 2/3 of the way through the night.

Apparently one never knows who might show up. Last week there was a bassist, before that a seven-year-old playing violin. Tonight Kit Knowles provided a break, playing some bluesy harp. He also is responsible for some of the yummiest English toffee I've ever tasted. More on that later.

Till then, it's practice, practice, practice for next week. And hope someone shows up who can show me how to play my flute.

*Taken from an old Ziggy comic

No comments: